I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The wild mustang escape

So Thursday afternoon I picked up a few bales of hay, planning on unloading them later in the evening. Well that didn't happen. So Friday morning I had to unload them as I needed to feed my horses!! To unload the bales you have to go down to the road, up to the gate, up through the pasture and to the barn. So I drove to the gate and the horses were standing relatively close to it. Now they have been right there several times before when I have brought hay up, and they have always just followed the truck hoping to snag a mouthful of hay. Well as I walked up to the gate I had this thought, "Maybe I should go get Drew or Dad to come down and help me." Nah, it will be fine. Well as I was driving through Geronimo would decide that it would be fun to slip out the gate... The first thing through my head was I better hurry and get those gates shut, because I will be SOL if Lucy gets out! Then "crap, crap, crap"... or something along those lines *ahem* came out of my mouth. There was my 2.5 year old skittery mustang out on the road!

When it comes to my animals I am a worst case scenario person. I just KNEW a truck was going to come along and hit him, or something equally as dreadful. Of course he is prancing around, snorting and blowing and just looking beautiful. So I walk over to him and grab his halter and make it to the gate. Well Lucy is standing there and I couldn't get the gate open, hold onto him AND keep her out of the way. So as Geronimo walks away from me I climb through the fence and jump in my truck. I tear through the pasture to the other gate by the house and run into the barn to grab his lead rope... it wasn't there! "Where the heck is it?!!!" Or something very similar to that... I then realize it must be in my room with my saddle. Yes my saddle sits in my bedroom, sue me. So I run inside and yell to Drew, "I really need your help!" As I run to my room Elizabeth and Enya are freaking out yelling, "He's running away!" Just shut up you guys!!

I grab the lead rope and run back out. I jump back in my truck and tear back down through the pasture looking around to see where Geronimo had gone. He see him in our neighbors empty gateless pasture. Drew was standing guard at the gate. So I walk over there with lead rope and a chunk of hay in my hand. Drew calls out, "Well at least he fenced himself back in!" I walk about 15 feet away from Geronimo and ask him "What are you doing you dork?" He looks at me and comes trotting over, snorting and blowing and stops about 6 inches in front of me. He grabs the hay and I grab his halter clipping the lead rope on. *Sigh*. We head back over to our house and Dad comes out and yells at me to grab onto his lead rope tighter, surely the horse was going to bolt and get away. He hands me some gloves to put on. I do and then take them off. Geronimo does NOT like leather gloves. It makes me wonder if the lady who owned him for a bit didn't smack him with gloves. Or maybe it was the guys at the BLM who always wore gloves that scared him. Who knows, but I stick them in my pocket and he moves over to the other side away from the gloves. Now when it comes to me he doesn't hardly ever bolt or spook that much. He was a little skittery walking back, but nothing bad. So we get to the gate and I take him in. Dad had already headed up to the barn to chase Lucy up there and to wait to unload the hay. As I let Geronimo off his lead he takes off and starts running up to the barn. As I drive closer I can see Dad smiling as he watches him. I back up through the gate to the barn and get out. I look at Dad and say, "You gotta admit he sure is pretty when he runs!"

Later, after quickly getting dressed (and forgetting to brush my teeth) I head upstairs to leave. Janice tells me that when I was getting his lead rope Geronimo had taken off across the meadow on the other side of the road. She said he was just running and then stopped about half way across and kinda looked around. She said it was like he thought, you know this is really too far away from home, I better get a bit closer back. So he turned around and wound up in the neighbor's pasture. I love my dorky horse. Even if he is a bit of a trouble maker. That's how Amadeus was too. That's how I like my boys! Sweet, but a bit odd and a little bit of a trouble maker.

1 comment:

  1. That story completely made my morning :) Silly boys, what would we do without them :)

    ReplyDelete